Sensory-friendly performances are designed to create a welcoming environment for individuals with autism spectrum disorder, other individuals with sensory sensitivities and their families. This service provides a relaxed and accepting atmosphere.
Accommodations for Sensory Friendly Performances typically include:
- Theater will not be filled to capacity, therefore audience members can select their own seats
- Patrons will be allowed to move freely through the aisles
- Individuals are free to vocalize during the performance
- House Lights will remain on at low level during performance
- To give warning to the audience, sudden loud sounds or startling moments will be signaled in advance
- Entering and exiting the theatre will be allowed throughout the performance
- A “quiet room” at the back of the theater provides continued viewing away from the audience and staff provides items to offer comfort or distract children when needed
- Additional quiet space provide completely away from the theater
- Temporary signage around the building specifically placed to provide helpful images at children’s sightline level
- Trained Kentucky Center volunteers on hand to assist with patron needs and requests
This performance was also offered with Audio Description and Captioned Theater, providing as inclusive an environment as we can make possible.