Jefferson County Public Schools has a new performing arts magnet school to unveil this fall - Lincoln Elementary in downtown Louisville.
Although Lincoln Elementary has been serving students for years, the school will open with a new mission and a new curriculum this fall.
From the JCPS website:
- Lincoln Elementary will become the first JCPS elementary performing arts concept school of its kind.
- Lincoln will emphasize a strong academic program in reading, writing, mathematics, science, and social studies.
- Each of the core academic areas will be integrated with drama, music, and dance.
- The curriculum will ensure that students experience the entire performing arts process, from designing a stage set to performing a student-written piece of music or dance.
- Community partnerships with leading arts groups will provide experiences and instruction that children can’t get anywhere else.
- The result will be a rich, engaging, and powerful instructional program that provides a teaching and learning environment unlike any other.
The Kentucky Center's Education department is currently training 27 teachers from Lincoln Elementary to incorporate the performing arts - through a variety of techniques - into their classrooms.